Dear Google Apps administrator,
It's time to say a fond farewell to Google Cloud Connect
, the free plug-in that automatically saves Microsoft Office files from Windows PC's to Google Drive.
Why? Because Google Drive handles this task much more effectively—and has a lot of other advantages. WithGoogle Drive installed as a folder on your computer:
• Any kind of file (not just Office files) saved to Drive on your Mac or PC is stored in the cloud, available from any Internet-connected device.
• Unlike the old Windows-only plug-in, Drive works on Windows, Mac, Android and iOS devices.
To keep our focus on Google Drive, we're discontinuing Cloud Connect, and it will no longer be available to use after April 30th, 2013.
This is important: Some of your users have recently used Google Cloud Connect for their documents
, and you'll want to help them migrate to Drive. Here's what to do:
• First, make sure Drive for Mac/PC is enabled for your domain under Settings -> Drive and Docs -> Drive
and be sure that "Allow users to download, install, and use Google Drive for Mac/PC
" is selected.
• Next, ask all your users to (1) log out of Cloud Connect, (2) remove Cloud Connect and (3) install the Drive folder. Share these
user-ready instructions with them if you like.
• Ask users to sign in to Google Drive on the web and make sure all the files they want to sync to their computer are added to the My Drive
• Done! Now those files (and any changes to them) will sync across all devices via the cloud. And users can add more files to the My Drive
folder on their computer and get the same result.
Note: You may wish to alert some users that Google Drive handles multi-person editing of Microsoft Office files differently. When two or more people are working on the same document, the most recent version is always saved to Drive on the web. Duplicates are saved to My Drive folders on the other users' desktops. (See detailshere
And that's it. Questions? Here are some FAQ
s, and you can also check the admin guide for launching GoogleDrive in your organization
for additional information. Feel free to contact Google Apps support for answers or assistance and reference this announcement (check the Support tab
in your control panel for contact info). Thanks!
The Google Apps Team